Inquest into the death of a Sydney teenage prostitute has been adjourned to pass on new evidence to the homicide squad.NSW Deputy State Coroner Jacqueline Milledge on Friday adjourned the inquest into the death of 17-year-old Arron Light, whose remains were found in a shallow grave on the banks of a canal in Sydney's inner west in March 2002.Counsel assisting the inquest, Ron Hoenig, told Glebe Coroner's Court a person gave new information to the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions on Thursday.Mr Hoenig said the material was "significant" and was corroborated by evidence at the inquest."It's my submission that that material needs to be forthwith forwarded to the homicide squad," Mr Hoenig said."It's my submission that that material is of such significance that your honour adjourn this inquest."The inquest was adjourned for two years in 2007 and resumed in October this year.Ms Milledge noted the delays, but said the new information needed to be investigated.
"At this stage of course it's a significant development that requires a careful scrutiny of the material that has been offered to the coroner and I do think the only group that could do that ... is the homicide squad," she said.
Mr Hoenig discussed the adjournment with Arron's parents, who were present in court.
"As Mrs Light said to me, 'We only get one shot at this'," Mr Hoenig said.
Ms Milledge said the decision to delay the inquest was the right one.
"I gave a commitment ... that what could be done would be done and we would do our best and this is part of it."
Frederick Rix, 81, a "person of interest" at the inquest, queried Ms Milledge on the nature of the new evidence.Arron had been due to give evidence against Mr Rix in a sex abuse trial listed for March 1998, but after he went missing in December 1997 the prosecution offered no evidence at the trial and Mr Rix was acquitted.
"This inquest is definitely a war of attrition," Mr Rix said.
"This is more or less another ploy to delay the inquest."
Mr Hoenig said the delay was in fairness to Mr Rix to ensure whoever was engaged in the "heinous murder" of Arron was brought to justice.
The adjournment also allows Ms Milledge to extend the warrant for Elliott Little, a friend of Arron's who sometimes uses the alias "Elliott Young", who it is hoped will give evidence at the inquest.The 34-year-old was last known to be residing in Cairns.
The matter will be mentioned in the same court on February 12 to check on the progress of the investigation.
'Hatchet' Gerard Kavanagh shot dead in Costa del Sol pub
-
Gerard Kavanagh was shot dead in a bar on the Costa del Sol Notorious
gangster Gerard “Hatchet” Kavanagh was gunned down by two masked assassins
yesterda...
0 comments:
Post a Comment